Wednesday, February 11, 2026
When I was small I played with plastic army men. We had a lawn that was mostly clovers and dandelions and half-buried sweetgum seeds, and so my mom didn’t mind much at all when I dug the place up to make earthworks, trenches and berms and twig cheval de frise. I remember how the clay soil dried on my hands and cracked in my creases. I didn’t know many words back then. There were earthworms and pillbugs and white grubs with sinister orange faces. I didn’t have any brothers or sisters, so I set everything up all by myself. I had some cannons with rickety wheels and cavalrymen on flat brown horses. And really I wasn’t playing, just trying to make the scene look right. Shape and relation and fitting in concern me still. I haven’t solved anything since then. I turn a quick orbit around a coldness that I’ll sink into someday, because it’s true that nothing lasts. My little fingers would get numb from scraping, but summer storms turned everything back to mud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The unruly dollar, crying on the phone like I always do Uncertain daughter, on the altar of the calendar and ill-fitting dress shirts that s...
-
the sun is washed out in December and won’t do much to warm me but your sweet face is never out of season and when you smile with your ey...
-
Sloan is straight-backed in a folding chair and digging her toes into the sand. There are itchy crumbs of the stuff in the netting of her sw...
-
Focus Group What are you going to do when the world ends? “I’m going to plant a flower garden. I’m going to grow vegetables. I’m going to r...
No comments:
Post a Comment